By the time that they are formally adopted, all EuroVelo routes should fulfill the following basic criteria:
- Being based on existing or future national or regional routes of the involved countries.
- At least two countries are involved.
- Route length is of at least 1,000km.
- Easy to communicate, with internationally recognisable identity and name (marketing potential).
- Implementation plans are in place (project plan, business plan, partners).
- Signing is in accordance with the respective national and/or regional regulations, continuous and in both directions.
- EuroVelo route information panels are included on the signs, in accordance with the recommendations of the UNECE and the ECF signing manual.
There is a formal process by which new routes, or major additions to existing routes, can be added to the network. This procedure is set out in the Central EuroVelo Route Coordination Rules:
This document will be updated during Spring 2021 to prepare for the next application period.
The next application period's deadline for submitting applications is 31 December 2022. Please send all applications to: email@example.com