By the time that they are formally adopted, all EuroVelo routes should fulfill the following basic criteria:
- Based on existing or future national or regional routes of the involved countries.
- At least two countries are involved.
- Route length at least 1,000km.
- Easy to communicate, internationally recognisable identity and name (marketing potential).
- Implementation plans in place (project plan, business plan, partners).
- Signing in accordance with the regulations of the respective nations and/or regions, continuous and in both directions.
- Signage supplemented by EuroVelo route information panels, in accordance with the recommendations of the UNECE and the ECF signing manual.
There is a formal process by which new routes, or additions to existing routes, can be added to the network. This is set out in the Central EuroVelo Route Coordination Rules:
This document will be updated in winter 2020/21 to prepare for the next application period.
The next application period's deadline for submitting applications is 31 December 2022. Please send all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org