Developing cycling tourism in this mediterranean region can help create year-round tourism with an emphasis on pre and post summer season which are climatically very pleasant for exploring the Mediterranean by bike, reduce the environmental impact of travelling, promoting sustainable/green traffic in the countries and tourist destinations with increased use of bicycle as means of transport and bring tourists to less visited areas with the opportunity to get to know and make a direct contribution to the authentic local community.
The LTMA started from 1st January 2021 and will initially last three years. It is based on the partnership and outputs of the EU funded MEDCYCLETOUR project, which aimed to use the EuroVelo 8 route as a tool to influence regional and national policies in favour of sustainable and responsible tourism, providing transnational solutions in coastal areas across the Mediterranean.
Now that the project has finished the partners have decided to continue working together to further develop the route on both national and the transnational level and will focus on a number of activities, including:
- Route Infrastructure (e.g. organising route infrastructure working group meetings and monitoring the implementation of the Action Plan)
- Services (e.g. working with tour operators to promote transnationally relevant bookable offers).
- Marketing and communication (e.g. managing the EuroVelo 8 - Mediterranean Route web portal and app, updates and distribution of the EuroVelo 8 promotional brochure).
- Monitoring and impact assessment.
The partnership consists of:
- Turkey – Izmir Metropolitan Municipality
- Croatia – Croatian National Tourist Board (Member of the National EuroVelo Coordination Centre)
- Slovenia – Regional Development Center Koper
- France – Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Spain –
- * Catalonia - Generalitat of Catalonia - Directorate General for Tourism
- * Region of Murcia – Region of Murcia Tourist Board
- European Cyclists’ Federation (as secretariat)
Picture: EuroVelo 8 - Mediterranean Route in Almeria, Spain